Show & Tell Question
1. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against minimum/maximum markers
2. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
Identify high/low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top to the correct level
3. Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid
Identify reservoir, check level against markings
4. Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.
Open the bonnet , or if sitting in car point to where the reservoir is and explain how to check level ( fill up with water and screen wash)<br />See photo of car engine below for above questions.
5. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for THIS car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Manufacturers guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve covers.
6. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
Check that there are no cuts or bulges and that there is at least 1.6mm of tread depth across the central 3/4 of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
7. Tell me how you would check that the headlights and tail lights are working on this car.
Turn on ignition (slide key into switch and press start/stop button) Operate light switch.
8. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack and operated when moving car should not pull to one side
9. Tell me how you would make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provide the best protection in the event of a crash.
Head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part is at least as high as the eye or top of ears. And as close To the back of the head as is comfortable. NB: some restraints may not be adjustable.
10. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Warning light on dashboard will come on if there is a fault.
11. Show me / explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering wheel feels heavy system is not working properly. When engine is switched on steering wheel should turn easily.
12. Show me how you would check the brake lights are working on this car ( I can assist you). If you need to switch ignition on , please don’t start the engine.
Operate brake pedal, make use of reflections in doors or windows, or ask someone to look behind you.
13. Show me how you would check the direction indicators are working.
Open passenger door ,lean in and press the hazard warning light switch ( this operates all four indicators) Walk to back and front of car to see that they are flashing.
14. Show me how you would check that the horn is working (of road only)
Identify horn (in middle of steering wheel), and tell him you would press it to check when you are off the road
15. Show me how you would check the parking brake (handbrake) for excessive wear, make sure you keep safe control of vehicle.
Apply footbrake firmly, Demonstrate by applying parking brake (handbrake) so that when it is fully applied it secures itself and it is not at the end of working travel
16. Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washers and wipers.
Operate control to wash and wipe windscreen, you may need to switch the ignition on , however do not start the engine.
17. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear the windows effectively: this should include front and rear screens.
Set all relevant controls including fan, temperature, air direction and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows.
18. Show me how you would switch on the rear fog light and explain when you would use them.
Switch on ignition, switch on dipped headlights , Switch on fog light switch and explain that you would use them in fog when visibility is less than 100 meters.
19. Show me how you would switch your headlights from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know main beam is on.
Push light switch lever forward and a blue light should light up on the dashboard. (switch ignition on).